FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Mayoral Candidate Aaron Foldenauer Calls for Immediate Opening of
Indoor Dining in New York City
NEW YORK, NY, August 24, 2020. – Aaron Foldenauer, candidate for Mayor of New York City, Aaron Foldenauer, is now the first candidate for Mayor to call for the immediate opening of indoor dining in New York City.
“Now that we have flattened the infamous curve, our city’s famous restaurants deserve a chance to start serving customers indoors,” said Aaron Foldenauer. “Each additional day that restaurants remain closed inflicts further permanent damage on the very establishments that make this City great.”
Aaron is a Democratic candidate for Mayor in the primary that will be held on June 22, 2021. He is a veteran of New York City politics and first ran for office in 2017, when ran for the City Council seat based in Lower Manhattan. Aaron published an op-ed advocating for the opening on indoor dining on Medium.com. https://link.medium.com/JtyAAHTda9
“Keeping our economy closed will exacerbate the fiscal crises faced by all levels of government.,” Aaron said. “Unfortunately, it will be many years before the coronavirus, or SARS-CoV-2, poses zero risk. We simply cannot afford to leave our economy in an endless holding pattern.”
He pointed out that New York City faces budget deficits of more than $7 billion while New York State forecasts that it will lose $62 billion over the next four years because of the pandemic.
Aaron’s plan for revitalizing restaurants in New York City calls for reopening of indoor dining under the following conditions:
- To prevent over-crowding and to facilitate social distancing:
- Maximum table/group size of 8 persons.
- Bar seating shall be permitted, but each customer must be seated at a pre-designated place.
- Standing room is not permitted.
- Contactless menus shall be utilized as a default, but a restaurant may offer a hardcopy menu upon request.
- Prominent signage to indicate that patrons with a fever or cough are not permitted to dine indoors.
- Individuals who are at increased risk of getting severely ill from COVID-19 (e.g., the elderly and those who are immunocompromised) are advised not to dine indoors.
- All restaurant staff should wear masks and customers shall wear masks when not seated.
- All staff shall be subject to health and temperature checks at the start of their shifts and shall be trained on best practices with respect to hygiene.
- The City shall subsidize cost-effective efforts by restaurants and their landlords to upgrade their air filtration systems.
- Where practicable and cost-effective, restaurants may operate with their doors and/or windows open so as to allow fresh air to circulate.
“With these and other common-sense precautions, individuals who wish to do so can enjoy our culinary wonders while we show the world that New York City is ready to open for business,” Aaron Foldenauer said.
* * *
Aaron Foldenauer’s experience as a political advocate and a business litigator makes him uniquely qualified to become the next Mayor of New York City during these difficult times. He is an accomplished attorney and practiced at several leading law firms in New York City for over a decade.
More information about Aaron and his policies can be found at http://aaronfornyc.com/.
Aaron Foldenauer for Mayor of New York City
# # #